Hindleys, as we know it today, first started trading in 1896 under the name of Joseph Brierley Hindley based in Sheffield. Joseph Hindley was a tool merchant and importer of fretwork designs and cabinet making tools for Sheffield and Yorkshire industries. Over the years Joseph expanded and other members of his family became involved in the business and the premises moved several times in the area.
In 1975 Michael Henry, whose own family had been involved in the steel industry, purchased J B Hindley, a traditional tool shop. His love of Sheffield-made tools and associated products had made it an easy decision for him to buy the company as he simply did not want another traditional business to disappear. One day a teacher called in to the shop and asked if Hindleys could supply a local school in Sheffield with hand tools. From this a catalogue was produced and this has developed into Hindleys as a major supplier to Designers, Education and Industry in the UK and also throughout the World.
Richard Henry now runs the company in Sheffield, not far from where Joseph Brierley Hindley originally started the business over 120 years ago.